Literature Abusers

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Mar 22 14:47:14 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:33:22 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>One of my very worst habits
>that I'm trying very very hard to break is reading while I drive.

Your example is kind of innocent.  You're not driving at a red
light--perfectly reasonable time to read, IMO.  I've actually read while
driving 75 mph down the freeway.  I made the mistake of not packing the
latest (this was years ago, mind) Robert Jordan in my suitcase in the trunk.
Temptation overcame me on a long stretch of freeway just north of St. George
Where the road is long, straight, sparsely inhabited and divided from
oncoming traffic.  Well, rationalize it how you want, I read for an hour
while driving before I finally gave that niggling voice in my head screaming
"YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN THIS TO A COP" any
heed...  Oh, I was driving a big old cadillac, BTW--wasn't in personal fear
of injury...

Jacob Proffitt