Literature Abusers

Miranda K. Smith mirkat at email.unc.edu
Thu Mar 22 11:39:42 EST 2001

> I'll second that. I haven't risked death to that extent while reading, but
> have walked into street furniture like lampposts on more than one
occasion.
> This is normal, isn't it? Please, tell me it's normal!

I don't think I've ever walked into a lamppost, but I know
I've come damn near to walking into various things
before. Still, I don't think I've ever really wiped out
because I was walking & reading. Has anyone ever
noticed the utterly inane things people tend to say when
they see you reading a book while walking? It seems
to be one of those sights that compels stupid comments
from acquaintances, mostly variants on, "Watch where
you're going!" issued in humourous tones. Well, if I
cared where I was going more than I cared about what
was happening in my book, I would be watching where
I was going, wouldn't I? :-) But seriously, I think it's
just an expression of the jealousy of lesser souls who
cannot do two things at the same time. Though I've
never tried walking, reading, _and_ chewing gum. :-)

miranda