OT Book ID question

amaebi at iwon.com amaebi at iwon.com
Wed Mar 21 08:14:00 EST 2001

Laurie had this book question:

>Subject: BOOK STUMPER QUESTION

>So a friend of mine is looking for a book he read when he was a kid.
>
>"It's a public school setting, about a boy who meets a bunch of vagrants
>in a  park who may or may not be mythological characters/gods and
>goddesses. One episode I do remember involves a school lunch scenario
>where he puts brussels  sprouts in his handkerchief, which gets pulled
out
>later after a soccer game and the sprouts appear in a photograph as a
>blur."

Sounds to me like Sidney Offitt's _The Adventures of Homer Fink_. The abridged
Scholastic Book Services edition is the common one, and the only one I've
read.

Homer Fink was a romantic fond of classical literature, rather than someone
in a magical world, however. Unless I misrecall, the folks in the park were
not perhaps-gods, but people transformed by Homer's amiable vision.

Mary Ann

--
iWon <http://www.iwon.com/> - Voted the #1 portal on the Web!