OT Book ID question

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Tue Mar 20 10:05:07 EST 2001

One of my other lit lists (yes, I'm a "traitor" too :) posted a message
about id'ing a particular book, and I thought perhaps one of you folks
might know it; it sounds vaguely like _Eight Days of Luke_, but it's been
so long since I read it that I don't want to jump to conclusions:

Subject: BOOK STUMPER QUESTION

So a friend of mine is looking for a book he read when he was a kid.
Here's what he remembers:

"It's a public school setting, about a boy who meets a bunch of vagrants
in a  park who may or may not be mythological characters/gods and
goddesses. One episode I do remember involves a school lunch scenario
where he puts brussels  sprouts in his handkerchief, which gets pulled out
later after a soccer game and the sprouts appear in a photograph as a
blur."

He read the book in the early 1970s.  HELP.  sdn

Any ideas?

Laurie