Charmed Life Audio Book

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 14 11:15:24 EST 2001

Bettina wrote:

>Deborah wrote:
>
>>  And I'm full of stifled comments from the last year and a
>>  half about how irritating the Chrestomanci on the new UK editions
>>  looks,
>
>This has been said before.
>
>But from my personal point of view, it cannot be said often enough!!!

My turn to second something!

>"Mr. Chin" is also depicted on my audio book in full glory, but this
>is not what I
>really wanted to say. Erm. Yes. Although I haven't finnished
>listening to it (I am a
>fast reader, but it takes me for ever to find the time to listen to
>audio books, and
>CL is actually my second.) I'm so happy to find dwj-post in my
>mailbox again (missed
>you, folks) that I thought I ought to contribute something.
>
>First point: I was rather surprised to hear music on it, which I
>find sounds a bit
>like the tapes I used to listen to before I could read books. But I
>still liked it,
>it sounds a bit strange, but it captures the atmophere I connected
>with the parts of
>the book: a bit scary, a bit funny, sometimes both at once.
>
>The second thing I noted, is how much interpretation happens when
>you have someone
>reading a book to you.  (Especially if that someone is an actor ;-)

I haven't heard the Charmed Life one, but have listened to _Witch
Week_, and had the exact same reaction.  WW seemed much less dark in
this audio version.  Although the funny bits always were funny, the
whole feeling of the book, to me, was rather disturbing.  But having
"It hurts to be burned" said in a very funny voice and accent, took a
lot of the sting out of it (Sorry.  That wasn't intentional.)  All
that appalling worry going on was less serious sounding.

Not sure what I think about this effect, but it is interesting...

Hallie.