Test message, and apology for the downtime

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Wed Mar 14 07:11:39 EST 2001

> It's good to see anything from suberic, Deborah!  Thanks for fixing
> it so quickly.

Seconded!

> Don't know if other people saw this already, but on rabc there's a
> request for DWJ book reviews for a web site. <<

What's rabc?

 And a comment about > _Archer's Goon_ being a parody of _Shadows in Amber_
("of Amber"? > Something like that).  Glad you asked what the Shadows book
was, > Helen.  I couldn't figure it out either. (This may have been answered
> already, as I'm reading through Google, which isn't keeping very >
up-to-date.)

Presumably we're talking about Roger Zelazny's series "Nine Princes in
Amber", which involves a central character coming into his powers as one of
a group of mysteriously powerful individuals who are siblings. I suppose
there is a superficial similarity there, though DWJ is an infinitely better
writer - IMO, of course! I read the series when I was a
first-year-undergraduate in 1974(can I claim I was an infant prodigy?<g>) so
most of it is hazy now, but I remember the style was very poor and it was
full of rather clumsy references to Hamlet. I suppose DWJ might have read
it, but the inspiration has to be minimal - she's far too good an artsit to
write AG as a mere parody.

Gill