Good Haul

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 29 21:06:07 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> From: Sally Odgers
>
> > > The Gate to Women's Country, Sheri S Tepper - This author has
> > > been highly recommended, but I haven't actually got to reading
> > > her. Something about her name (how petty!) put me off.

> I really like this one, and two early series, The True Game trilogy
> and a "sequel trilogy" to it which all have Jinian in the title.
> Marvellous worlds, great characters.

Yes. Among my favourite Tepper books, especially the prequel series
-- which I see you haven't mentioned. Did you know there's a prequel
series as well?

> Most of her other, more recent, books are too intense for my tastes-

Same here.

(Although I find that the feeling of being beaten about the head with
a soapbox doesn't help.)

> > > The Secret of Platform 13, Eva Ibbotson. - I've read most of her
> > > others and enjoyed them.

> Ditto- Which Witch is a terrific book.

I second the recommendations of Eva Ibbotson and of 'Which Witch'
specifically.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."