Pop tarts was re Bread Pudding

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 19:58:23 EDT 2001

Tarja asked

> And to continue with the food related stuff (oh, no, here the list goes
> again on a food rampage... =)), I know this is a trivial thing to stick in
> one's mind about a great book, but what is a Pop-tart? Joanna in Willis's
> _Passage_ always had only had a Pop-tart for breakfast and I kept wondering
> what they were like.

We're talking about pop tarts and no one has mentioned exploding
toasters?

One of the reasons pop tarts never really took off in the UK is that
our toasters operate at higher temperatures than US ones. This
had two unfortunate consequences. Firstly the pop tarts became
super hot making both the sugar coating and the jam filling
distinctly hazardous, since the time from contact with boiling jam
to painful burn was rather less than the time it would take to get to
the cold tap. So you had to toast the things, hope they didn't fly
out of the toaster and hit anyone, then wait for them to cool down
enough to eat. Secondly if they got stuck in the toaster, or just
stayed in too long the whole thing would catch fire. The company
tried to blame careless consumers and faulty toasters until a
consumer programme got them in a double whammy between a
burns expert and half a dozen flaming toasters......... I think six out
of eight failed to eject  their pop tarts and ignited, one after only two
minutes and then, iirc, the one that had lasted the longest did
actually explode in a shower of sparks and a gout of flame. After
that I think they came with instructions that said to cook them in
the oven.

> who is moving next weekend and hates packing, especially now
that I have no
> easy access to my books before unpacking them =(. But, at least I'll have
> room for more books.

I  feel for you, I haven't moved for sixteen years and the very idea is
appalling. good luck.
Ven

"Any reader has the right to say of any text: "But I didn't think it was that good."

Samuel R Delany