The Author is Dead

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 18:32:47 EDT 2001

Kyra wrote:

> As for fiction - it does happen to be an idea I follow closely,
> that what we know about people's personalities, even about our own, are
> basically constructs.  I certainly think that I tend to think about
> artists I respect in the fashion you describe - if I had to, for some
> reason, list everyone I could think of as either a fictional character or
> a real person, I would very probably put DWJ into the fictional character
> list, despite the fact that I assume she actually exists ;-).  So maybe I
> am not so far from the "Author is Dead" view after all - only I feel free
> to speculate about the author anyway.  Should I call it the "Author is
> Imaginary" view, perhaps?

Thank you, thank you Kyra, for summing up what I've been going
all round the houses to say!

I have been aware in my own wrting that the third person voice is
just  as much of a construct as a first person narrator. There can in
fact be  more than one layer of mediation between author and text,
for example when Steven Brust takes on the Paarfi of Roundwood
character to be a historian telling the story of the Khaavren
chronicles.
Ven

"Any reader has the right to say of any text: "But I didn't think it was that good."

Samuel R Delany