Good Haul

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Thu Jun 28 20:55:21 EDT 2001

> He's dead?  Damn!  I didn't know.  When did he die?  I love his books.

Westall died a few years ago, but several books came out poshumously  (sp?).
Trouble is, he didn't start writing until he was oldish, but he sure moved
once he got started! He wrote a delightful story called "The Girl Who
Couldn't Say No", one of my favourite short stories ever. (The others
include Joan Aiken's "Humblepuppy" and "Crusader's Toby" and Eleanor
Farjeon's "Faithful Jenny Dove" and Jean Stubbs "His Coy Mistress". And,
naturally, DWJ's "Dragonhome Eight" and "The Sage of Theare". (oblig. DWJ
mention).

> > Of course! Up the Irish! (Guess where my great granny Bridget Smith came
> > from???)
>
> Convict or colonist? :-)

She just came I think... too late to be a convict or a colonist, really. My
dad remembers her (she was his granny) as a real old lady "Irish as the pigs
of Grunt Hill" as she used to say. She had two sisters named Mary and
Margaret and they all lived in and around Deloraine in NE Tasmania. She must
have lived on until at least 1945, because my mother met her just once.

I borrowed the three names, Mary, Margaret and Bridget, for three sisters in
my novel "Anna's Own". Their mother is Anna (Bailey) Kelly, an English
ex-convict, and their father "Mad" Jack Kelly, an Irish adventurer.

Tasmania has a lot of Irish-descended people; it's even affected our vowels
a bit!

Sallyo.