OT: Pop-tarts was: Re: Bread pudding

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jun 28 13:58:55 EDT 2001

Hallie explained...

> Glad you liked _Passage_ too. :)  A Pop-tart is a sort of pastry
> thing flattened (and de-crumbleised) to fit into a toaster.  The
> fillings are mostly sort of thick preserves, but there is a chocolate
> one too.  Well, there are probably lots and lots since I last ate
> one.  Oh yeah, I think there's a thin layer of dry frosting on top as
> well.

You know, I've always thought "pop-tart" a most unfortunate name for the
things.  Back in the 80s, I seem to recall, the British tabloids went
through a phase of referring to Madonna as a "pop-tart", and I really don't
think they meant she was sweet and pastry-ish! :-)

> I don't think I'm going to get a job advertising these things
> somehow.  Even worse - if they're somebody's favourite food, I might
> just have turned a food rampage into a food fight!

Well, I've never eaten one, but I suspect I wouldn't like them, as I don't
have a very sweet tooth.  *frowns, thinks...*  I think the last sweet thing
I ate was a Toffypop, last Friday evening.  Oh, and some mango Snapple on
Saturday, but that isn't very sweet.

And, for the benefit of those who were about to ask me what Toffypops or
Snapple are...  A Toffypop is a kind of biscuit (cookie in American) with a
chocolate topping and a layer of soft toffee between biscuit and chocolate.
Several members of my regular gaming group are addicted to them, and bring
them every week.  Snapple is a fruit-juice-based drink.  (And the mango
flavour is a startling shade of pink!)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer