OT: Pop-tarts was: Re: Bread pudding

Thu Jun 28 11:08:22 EDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:50:30 +0200 (CEST), Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>> Glad you liked _Passage_ too. :)  A Pop-tart is a sort of pastry
>> thing flattened (and de-crumbleised) to fit into a toaster.  The
>> fillings are mostly sort of thick preserves, but there is a chocolate
>> one too.
>
>Me want pop-tarts! We have something like that in the Netherlands,
>but it has a cheese-and-jam filling with no discernible taste except
>sweet and salty at the same time. I wonder if it would it be possible
>to make them, I'm rather good at pasties and samosas (though I've
>never tried tarts as such).

Pop-Tarts are VERY sweet.  I like the strawberry ones myself.  Also the
brown sugar and cinnamon ones (spicy and sweet).  They are also pretty hard
unless you toast them...the pastry part is almost a soft cracker instead of
pastry.  I would think you could make them, though I'd be worried about
committing a homemade one to a regular toaster.  I use a toaster oven (so
they lie flat) and I bet that would work.

Melissa Proffitt
trying to figure out breakfast, right now