OT: Willis (Arabel, All My darling Daughters)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jun 26 15:07:16 EDT 2001

Ven:

>I had forgotten about the Barrett Browning allusions
>in the story so I "had " to go and read it again and found myself
>regretting it. I wrote earlier that I thought Willis had taken this too
>far, what I meant specifically is the way that all the male students
>get involved with the abomination, I just don't buy that.
>It seems to me to be saying that this is an experience which would
>appeal to any man, that's not something I want to believe at any
>rate, definitely Andrea Dworkin territory.

Well, here's my stupid question:  where were they exactly?  I know it
was "Hell", and I know it was a school, but in the beginning I didn't
know what was going on with the place, and by later on in the story I
wasn't paying attention to *that* part, and now I can't quite muster
the resolve to go read it over.  But I'm just wondering if it was
just any old university in a particularly nasty little world, or if
there was some important bit I missed about why the male characters
were sent there.

Hallie.