Connie Willis--Remake

Miranda Smith mirkat at email.unc.edu
Thu Jun 21 09:23:28 EDT 2001

_Remake_ fascinated me because it's so madly post-modern...
I'm a graduate student in cultural anthropology & I'm
exposed to a lot of po-mo theory in that line of work,
& it's so heavy in that book that I swear she'd been
reading Baudrillard or Jameson or Derrida or somebody
when she wrote it. Referentiality & the loss of reality
in the morass of simulacra (imitations) being two
obvious po-mo themes which the book is quite imbued with...
& really, I'm not the kind of person who goes around
finding po-mo themes in literature in the normal scheme
of things. :-)
miranda the mostly-lurker