Jane Austen was a load of re that I snipped off - now coming back on-topic

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Jun 18 16:18:22 EDT 2001

>So what about a constitutional mind-set which would really be likely
>to bounce people off DWJ?  Aside from the obvious, such as disliking
>fiction in general or sf/fantasy in any variety.  We didn't do very
>well, but thought possibly people who wanted books to be more
>"realistic" rather than "escapist" (which we would consider hopeful
>or upbeat).

I think people who think that modernist realism (Hemingway, Updike,
Raymond Carver) is what literature is and ought to be, might find
DWJ's convolutions and style off-putting. She doesn't put "P.J.F."
after her name, but I think she has a lot of sympathy with the "
Pre-Joycean Fellowship" concept.

I tried one out on my mother once, and she found the experience too
intense and disturbing. For those not used to fantasy/SF conventions
of variable space-time, many of her basic plot devices can really
give one the heebies.

And, I think religious fundamentalists of any stripe might have a
problem with her open-minded, agnostic view of all things cosmic. She
doesn't treat any being, god or otherwise, with respect due simply to
position, and that is a fundamental premise of all the
fundamentalisms I can think of.

Nat Case