Connie Willis -- Promised Land

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 18:07:21 EDT 2001

I wrote
> Interestingly in the Felice/Willis  collaberation -- whatsit called,
> >  >Mills and Boon in Space, Deleanna and Sunny and Cleo the
> >>Scarab -- it's the heroine who's dumb while all the freight
> >  >inspectors, bartenders, etc know a lot more about what's going on.

I have this problem with Willis titles -- there's quite a few I have
trouble remembering, like the above and that dog book and that
sheep book <g> (I've just put paid to the prodigious memory theory
again). It doesn't matter how much I love them, or how often I read
them, I just can't remember what they're bloody well called.

Hallie wrote
> >_Promised Land_.  Have I mentioned how much I love this book?  I don't know
> >why, but it always makes me feel happy and warm inside.  :)  Probably
> >because it's a combination of romance and Western and survival novel.  Some
> >of my favorite parts are where Delanna has to learn how to clean and store
> >the different foods they grow.  It sounds mundane, but I'm fascinated every
> >time.

and Melissa
> I love it too!  And so did Becca - after I'd told her that she wasn't
> to stop me from reading it to her because Delanna behaves like such
> an idiot and spoiled brat at first.  But I'd have called it Comedy of
> Manners with a Western Element in Space, rather than Mills and Boon
> in space. :)  Oh -  The serenading!

And I love it. And I know its ever so much better than Mills and
Boon really.

Hallie again.
> Completely irrelevant to *everything* being discussed, but among the
> many things I love about Connie Willis, I love her animals.  Ok, in
> PL I guess they could be Felice's contribution, but don't Cleo and
> the fire monkeys (Big Guy - so wonderful!) just feel like the
> creation of someone who could create Cyril and Princess Arjumand?

Cleo is wonderful, I loved the way she played with the fire
monkeys, and how she was too lazy to extend fully. Her sheep are
great too and, from my limited experience of getting them to do
anything, most lifelike.

Ven,

Those who fail to reread are doomed
 to read the same story everywhere -- Barthes