Connie Willis

Tue Jun 12 23:33:40 EDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:45:32 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>I finally managed to make myself read this ("All My Darling Daughters")
>last night.  Probably one
>of the most upsetting things I've ever read, but even so, I'm also
>glad to have read it.  There's something about the twist to the
>writing of the story that allows you no escape - just as you think
>you're coping with the horror, you realise that you haven't come
>close to it.  Or at least that was something like my reaction.

That's pretty much how I reacted.  I'm not sorry I read it.  I don't think I
could bear to read it again.

On the other hand, I do tend to cite this story a lot for Willis's creation
of obscenities.  It's hard to make up swear words for a fantasy universe
because they usually lack the punch that makes such words so powerful.  I
admired how Willis took common or technical words and transformed them into
something very smutty.  (Not that I *like* smutty words...it just worked
well.  I felt very icky after reading the story.)

Melissa Proffitt