Connie Willis

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jun 12 17:45:32 EDT 2001

Jacob:

>Ven wrote:

>>>Oh, seconded heartily.  I can't bring myself to reread it.
>>>

>>Thirded? Reseconded? makes me think whatever possessed her.
>>Of course it has such an impact because there is a core of truth in
>>there, in the specific case but the story strikes me as a gross
>>overstatement.
>>

>As someone touched (though peripherally) by real life circumstances
>mirrored in that story, I can tell you that it resonates in a very
>deep and real way with me.  It was disturbing, but that is the
>point.  Powerful story and I'm not at all sorry to have read it.  No
>overstatement for me.  It just lifted the cover off the truly
>hideous beast.

I finally managed to make myself read this last night.  Probably one
of the most upsetting things I've ever read, but even so, I'm also
glad to have read it.  There's something about the twist to the
writing of the story that allows you no escape - just as you think
you're coping with the horror, you realise that you haven't come
close to it.  Or at least that was something like my reaction.

But I was very glad of both the warnings and of Jacob's endorsement.
Without either, I doubt I'd have finished the story.

Hallie.