Connie Willis - Promised Land

Sun Jun 10 02:28:06 EDT 2001

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:52:48 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>I extracted the bit about this book from the post.  I'm still
>thinking about all the other JA/CW/DWJ (occasionally, at least)
>discussion.  (Often when trying to go to sleep, Melissa.  Far more
>effective than a dose of caffeine in whatever preferred form.)  If
>nothing else, I'm back on Melissa's side with this.  ;)

Oooh, I'm a stimulant now!  Am I legal?  :)

>More digression: I didn't like _Water Witch_ as much, but has anyone
>read the other of their collaborations?

Gather round and I'll tell you a story, children.

Many years ago I had a friend I'll call Denise, primarily because it is her
real name.  We shared a love of fantasy books, each of us sharing new
discoveries with the other.  She is the only person I know who actually
contacted a publisher for permission to photocopy an entire book, since she
loved it and it was not available to buy.  One day we were talking and she
said, "I just read this new book--it's a great story and a good romance.
It's called _Light Raid_."

So I followed her advice and liked the book very much.  It's an interesting
story with some great practical technological ideas--something common in
Willis's stories.  (Years later, I find it's not as appealing as it once
was, but I still like it better than _Water Witch_, also a pretty good book
but not one that resonates with me.  I think it's the romantic hero, who is
similar to the one in _Light Raid_ in being sort of standoffish and
priggish--oh, wow, I just realized they remind me of Rupert "Prat" Venables.
No wonder.)  A year or so later, Denise and I were in the BYU campus
bookstore.  I don't know why, because she didn't go to school there.
Probably she was visiting me.  Anyway, she said, "Oh, remember _Light Raid_?
One of the authors has this new book out that is INCREDIBLE.  It's called
_Doomsday Book_."  And whaddya know, it's sitting there on the shelf.  So I
bought it.  That was it for me.  I've been addicted ever since.

You say you want an obligatory DWJ reference, children?  I have one and it's
not even all that obligatory.  It just so happens that this same Denise, in
a casual, ordinary phone call, once suggested that I look up a little book
called _Howl's Moving Castle_.

The end.  Or the beginning.  It's probably both.

Melissa Proffitt