Connie Willis - Promised Land

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jun 9 06:52:48 EDT 2001

I extracted the bit about this book from the post.  I'm still
thinking about all the other JA/CW/DWJ (occasionally, at least)
discussion.  (Often when trying to go to sleep, Melissa.  Far more
effective than a dose of caffeine in whatever preferred form.)  If
nothing else, I'm back on Melissa's side with this.  ;)

>>Interestingly in the Felice/Willis  collaberation -- whatsit called,
>  >Mills and Boon in Space, Deleanna and Sunny and Cleo the
>>Scarab -- it's the heroine who's dumb while all the freight
>  >inspectors, bartenders, etc know a lot more about what's going on.
>
>_Promised Land_.  Have I mentioned how much I love this book?  I don't know
>why, but it always makes me feel happy and warm inside.  :)  Probably
>because it's a combination of romance and Western and survival novel.  Some
>of my favorite parts are where Delanna has to learn how to clean and store
>the different foods they grow.  It sounds mundane, but I'm fascinated every
>time.

I love it too!  And so did Becca - after I'd told her that she wasn't
to stop me from reading it to her because Delanna behaves like such
an idiot and spoiled brat at first.  But I'd have called it Comedy of
Manners with a Western Element in Space, rather than Mills and Boon
in space. :)  Oh -  The serenading!

Completely irrelevant to *everything* being discussed, but among the
many things I love about Connie Willis, I love her animals.  Ok, in
PL I guess they could be Felice's contribution, but don't Cleo and
the fire monkeys (Big Guy - so wonderful!) just feel like the
creation of someone who could create Cyril and Princess Arjumand?

More digression: I didn't like _Water Witch_ as much, but has anyone
read the other of their collaborations?

Hallie.