Literary Criticism

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 11:33:19 EDT 2001

In a message dated 6/7/2001 6:56:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Melissa writes:

> > In learning to read, we are trained to see the whole rather than the
parts.
>  > It sucks.  People who really truly love reading love it because they are
>  > able to fall headlong into a book and live in it for however long they're
>  > reading.  You're not thinking about character and plot and theme, you're
>  > thinking about the story.  Sure, you can answer the above questions, but
> in
>  > order to do it, you have to stay aloof from the story.  This is supposed
>  > be fun?

There's something very like this in Zilpha Keatley Snyder's _The Velvet
Room_. The heroine finally gets a decent English teacher and learns that
there are other ways to approach a book than swallowing it whole, and after a
bit of struggle she gets the idea and starts to love it. I should look up the
passage and post it -- I honestly think that that very simple bit of
exposition helped me through a lot of complicated English classes.

Helen Schinske