Austin Redux

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at cableinet.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 04:07:39 EDT 2001

> (As a grace note, the actress who portrayed Mary and Miss Bates
> in Paltrow's
> Emma, (I understand she is Thompson's sister?) is an excellent character
> actress. I certainly did not recognize her from the one role to the next.)
> --

Would this not be Phyllida Law, who is actually Thompson's mother? Although
there are now faint bells ringing about Emma Thompson having a sister, as
well, so please correct me if I am wrong - I'd be interested to know!

Phyllida Law has played the mother figure, if not biological mother, to Emma
Thompson in a couple of films, including Much Ado About Nothing (one of my
favourite films as a teenager) and The Winter Guest.

I haven't seen Persuasion, but quite enjoyed the very arch Paltrow/Northam
version of Emma although, as usual, it couldn't live up to the book - Emma
is my favourite Jane Austen.

Cheers,

Liz