Lit Crit was More Than You Ever Wanted To Know Was reAnswersn from Diana See the Writing's On The Walls etc

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jun 6 17:25:18 EDT 2001

Dorian:

>The BBC did a film of it in the mid-90s or so; I saw it in the Light House
>Cinema (remember that, Hallie, on Middle Abbey Street?).  Maybe this is what
>Ven(?) was talking about.  It was around the time of the Gwyneth Paltrow
>"Sense & Sensibility" film; I saw both of them quite close together.  In
>fact, I saw "Persuasion" before I'd read the book, and found the first part
>of the film very confusing as a a result - not helped by my mother, with
>whom I saw it, elbowing me at one point and hissing "they stole that scene
>from 'Emma'!" (which I hadn't read either).
>
>Since I hadn't read the book at the time, I can't really say whether it was
>a good adaptation or not (though my mother thought it was).  Wouldn't mind
>seeing it again, now.

Oh, I saw that one - and it was later put on the telly (actually, I
taped it, and can give you a loan of it along with the books if you'd
like, Dorian).  I liked it with reservations.  They changed the story
considerably, in order to compress it to film length.  Which worked
ok in some places, not so well in others.  (The one that really
annoyed me was having Mr. Elliot only be after Anne because he'd
squandered his money.  That changed the characters and relationships
TOO much for me.)  But I loved most of the characters (the one who
played Mary also played Miss Thingummy in Emma - the G. Paltrow Emma,
and I think she's wonderful), (Oh, and Fiona Shaw played Capn. W's
sister and she's Wonderful!) and loved the fact that they weren't all
Pretty People.  And the appreciation for literature of the day came
through well, I thought.

And then they kept the wonderful early-feminist-criticism remark! :)
Otherwise - no way!

Hallie.