Lit. Crit. (was: Re: More than you ever wanted to know (was Re: answers from Diana))

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Tue Jun 5 18:27:09 EDT 2001

Philip:
> I feel like shouting at this point, and I know there is no need.
>
> GENDER AWARENES IS NOT THE SAME AS FEMINISM!

Obviously. But gender awareness in writing, media etc. did not exist before
feminism. It was very illuminating to have the sexist nature of language
used in the media etc. pointed out.
And it's hardly surprising that women feel angry and have "unbalanced" views
after the centuries of being under men's control.
Ultimately, in my feminist and female opinion, it is all about redressing
the balance and achieving genuine equality. But it will take some doing.
The very phrase women's liberation is a clue. Liberation from what? Mainly
from male control. Men may need liberating too, but it's hardly from women's
control. The nature of their un-liberatedness is quite different from ours.
I really must not get started.
 Ania