Lit. Crit. (was: Re: More than you ever wanted to know (was Re: answers from Diana))

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Jun 3 15:34:05 EDT 2001

Irina complained...

> Even though I'm a woman myself, I don't see the need for "the woman's
> point of view"; this got worse when I was the only woman in the Dutch
> Geofiction Society (of people who make up worlds) and the president
> insisted on addressing us as "Lady and Gentlemen" and asking for "the
> woman's point of view" every time we were discussing something. I
> kept stressing that *my* point of view was *one person's* point of
> view, and it didn't matter for the point of view in question that I
> happened to be a woman, but he (and some other die-hards) just
> refused to understand.

The correct answer to that request would have been to politely inform the
president that you have a name, and you would prefer that he use it instead
of calling you "the woman" all the time. :-)  (I assume this kind of
deliberate misunderstanding is possible in Dutch?)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer