Jane Austen (was: A whole lot of Re: that I snipped off)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 14:41:02 EDT 2001

>>> (whimper), and ohmigod, there's Philip on feminist criticism and I
>>> NEED to disagree with that!  ;)
>>
>>Hallie, we've already had this discussion.  IIRC I said some offensive things,
>>for which I later apologised; you made unwarranted and incorrect deductions
>>about my motives for saying them and we ended up each roughly where we had
>>started.
>>
>>I know you disagree, but I don't think there's anything but
>>unpleasantness to be gained from having the argument again.
>
> Philip, there is a convention of netiquette you should probably learn
> to notice - especially before saying things *in public* concerning a
> private discussion - and that is the use of the smiley to indicate a
> joke.

I have never before heard (or read) the smiley convention put in the realm of
netiquette, but your point is taken.

>>(Of course if others on this list wish to declare this on topic...)
>
> The logic of this escapes me.  If 'others' declare this on topic, or
> if you choose to discuss it, that's different from my wanting to
> reply to messages about it - how?

I thought I'd explained this.  You and I have already discussed this, off list.
I think you and I would have nothing more to gain from continuing the discussion
on our own.  It is therefore only sensible to continue it if other list members
also want to join in.

Not that I would presume to dictate to you, of course.

Philip.

prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432