Lit. Crit. (was: Re: More than you ever wanted to know (was Re: answers from Diana))

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 5 12:43:45 EDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> Dorian, quoting me:

> > styles have changed a lot since Austen was writing, and writers
> > today would not use a lot of the things that Austen uses (long
> > sentences, "big words", expository dumps, asides to the
> > reader...). With the result that readers
>
> Except that I have no objection to any of the devices in your list.
> Georgette Heyer uses all of them, and the longest sentence I've
> encountered is in "Winnie the Pooh" by A A Milne (it's at the end
> of the chapter about the flood, and lasts a page and a half)

I hate asides to the reader. It usually breaks my immersion in a
book, sometimes irrevocably. The only author who can pull it off, for
me, is Erich Kästner, but his books are all explicitly
*addressed* to the reader: they're not really asides, they're
right-in-fronts.

I think I ought to like Georgette Heyer, but I'm still fighting with
my mother's mental legacy that makes me think I ought not to. I
should really have taken the books along (I think she had the lot, at
least everything except the really rare ones) and kept them in a box
until I'm ready.

   Irina