OTish: Up the flag for Jane Austen :)

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Tue Jun 5 08:26:41 EDT 2001

Alexandra wrote:
I agree altogether that Some Books Are Not For Some Readers at the Time
when First Introduced to Same Readers.  I read P&P when I was sixteen
and yawned my way through it.  I tried Emma and literally fell asleep
during Chapter 1.

lol. Happened to me, too. I was about 17 years old when I tried Emma for the first time,
and didn't get further that two or three pages. Years later, I read it and liked it very
much..

Ven wrote:
As Philip said some writers are not for some readers. And although
Dorian was right to point out that books can be introduced at the
wrong age (the thought of making 17 year old lads read
Persuasion, rotfwl), I was well into my 30s before I could really
enjoy Dickens for example, I don't think I'm ever going to love Jane
Austen.

So maybe there's hope for me and Dickens, which I find (still) quite annoying. I had to
read David Copperfield in school, and at some point I simply couldn't bear the fact that
everybody knows and Davod does not no more, so I stopped reading. The most humorous thing
to me were essays claiming how funny and ironic the book was. The fact the DC came up
unexpectely in my final exams made me regret not finnishing it... How ironic. ;-)

About Austen at  http://www.sff.net/people/Sherwood/  Sherwood Smith (author of Court and
Crown duel) has some interesting toughts about her. I even wrote to her * about her books
(which I like very much) and her comments about Emma (to which I didn't quite agree) and
she wrote me a very nice letter back.

Bettina

* First time I wrote such a letter...

Irony is if you don't get it.