OTish: Up the Flag for Jane Austen :)

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 4 16:49:33 EDT 2001

I agree altogether that Some Books Are Not For Some Readers at the Time
when First Introduced to Same Readers.  I read P&P when I was sixteen
and yawned my way through it.  I tried Emma and literally fell asleep
during Chapter 1.

I remember quite distinctly what triggered my liking for Jane Austen.  In
the letters of C.S. Lewis (whom I dearly respect), he mentioned JA's books
as good reading for convalescents.  This lay in the back of my mind while
I sat through an English class in which somebody talked about this
*terrible* Canadian writer whose characters were all violently psychotic,
who cut off their small siblings' fingers by way of childish epiphanies
and set themselves on fire in sheds as the grand finale.  Bleaaargh.
After an hour of this I felt distinctly convalescent.  So I went to the
library to take my medicine.  The only JA book I found was Mansfield Park,
my least favourite of the lot--and something clicked, and I was instantly
hooked.  I've read most of her books since, over and over and over, and
loved them.  I think Persuasion is my favourite.

Alexandra
(an unrepentant Janeite)