Lit. Crit. (was: Re: More than you ever wanted to know

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Jun 4 14:55:16 EDT 2001

Some Authors Are Not For Some Readers At The Point At Which They Are
Introduced To Them.

Precisely. I was having a discussion yesterday with a friend who went
to Cambridge and is teaching at a liberal arts college here now, and
she noted the difference in effect between entirely set reading lists
at American universities and the comparative flexibility in Oxbridge
tutorials. The whole thing devolved into a debate over the relative
merits of UK and US educational systems, but it remind me how much I
longed for that kind of flexibility in school. The small size of my
department (Studio Art) at the time I attended actually made that a
lot more feasible than if I had stayed in English or Classics as I
had intended.

Some Schools Are Not For Some Students At The Point At Which They
Must Attend Them.

Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance comes
immediately to mind. Also, is anyone else familiar with the Teenage
Liberation Handbook. It's by Grace Llewellyn, a fellow Carleton Alum,
and gives teens who are sick of school PRODUCTIVE ways of dropping
out of the system to learn on their own (and even go on to college if
that's the way they want to go). I found it a very thought-provoking
book.