Literary-allusion-laden speech...

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Mon Jun 4 12:39:30 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Dorian E. Gray <israfel at eircom.net>
Subject: Re: The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject
ofWickedWomen)

literary-allusion-laden speech...

> Well, I don't find it intimidating either, probably because my family
quotes
> all sorts of things all the time anyway.  These characters seem normal to
> me. :-)  Even if they do seem to have read loads of books that I haven't,
> thus immensely increasing me to-read list.

It's one of the things I missed enormously when I left my previous job and
moved to a school where it was considered a little weird to enthuse too much
about one's subject. Fortunately I discovered a small "cell" of bookaholics
like me, with whom I could discuss DWJ, Pullman, Dunnett, Tolkien and so
on....

My old gang of university friends, with whom I'm in touch have always talked
like this- obscure references, deliberate misquotation, the works. It's
always a joy to find someone who shares this habit!

Gill