More than you ever wanted to know (was Re: answers from Diana)

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Mon Jun 4 12:16:23 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Anna Skarzynska <theania at freeuk.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: More than you ever wanted to know > Anyway, maybe I'm a
philistine, or just stupid, but lit crit is THE cure for
> insomnia as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather read the work itself.

I have to chime in here, as someone who teaches the skill rather a lot!
Dissection is when you take a live frog and end up with a lot of nasty
squishy bits. Analysis of a book or a poem is more like taking a superb
mechanism - a beautiful clock, for instance, and taking it carefully to
pieces to see how it works, then putting it all back together again, and
seeing it now works even better, and your appreciation of its beauty is
enhanvced by knowing just how well it was put together.

It works for me, at least!

Gill