19th Century Literature

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jul 31 14:10:33 EDT 2001

JOdel said...

> In a message dated 7/30/01 1:16:06 PM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:
>
> >BTW, in Edinburgh I found a Burnett book called _A Lost
> >Prince_  I'd never seen it before, has anyone else?
>
> That one was reprinted in the late '70s or somewhere about there.

Yes, I read it as a child in the late 70s, and recently acquired my own copy
(abridged, though - bah!).

> Not half bad upon the whole.

I'm very fond of it.  Barkingly unlikely, most of it, but if you can suspend
your disbelief (which I don't find difficult with Burnett!), it's a great
read.  It's more similar to "A Little Princess" than to "The Secret Garden",
I think - that kind of romantic drama.  Hallie, if you want to borrow it,
you know where I am!  Or did you buy it in Edinburgh?

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer