19th Century Literature

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 00:37:09 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/30/01 1:16:06 PM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>BTW, in Edinburgh I found a Burnett book called _A Lost
>Prince_  I'd never seen it before, has anyone else?

That one was reprinted in the late '70s or somewhere about there. Not half
bad upon the whole. Burnett's juveniles hold up better than the bulk of her
romances. (Although a few of those were fairly good and the majority are
pretty harmless.) As a possible side note, E. Nesbit did a send up of one of
Burnett's stories (Editha's Burgler) in I think it was Pheonix and Carpet.
Burnett also had a project going of rewriting the stories from a book which
she had been given in childhood, and managed to lose. Only one of these I
think ever got actually written and published, but since the tale was The
Story of Prince Fairyfoot, it was clear that the missing book was Frances
Browne's Granny's Wonderful Chair

FWIW, I read Sir Gibbie back in college. Pretty sappy, but harmless. Not his
best story by a long chalk.