Liaden (Re: Remake, and a plug for Issola and Sabriel)

Mon Jul 30 13:07:16 EDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:57:39 +0300, Tarja Rainio wrote:

>MM has also reprinted Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden series plus some
>new books on the series, which I liked quite a lot (was it Melissa who said
>she didn't like them?). I like good space opera mixed with romance (hey, I
>used to be a huge Star Wars fan in my teens =)).

Yeah, it was me.  But not because it's space opera, which I love.  (I refuse
to be ashamed about this.)  I just didn't care about the characters and the
prose bothered me--it struck me as very awkward.  I read the three MM
published in omnibus, but I don't think I'll read the new ones.  I liked
some of the ideas--like the implanted risk-calculator, and some of the alien
cultures (especially the people I persist in remembering as "the turtle
guys" with their names and their special knives).  Otherwise I barely made
it through the third book.  :(

Melissa Proffitt