19th Century Literature

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 20:06:27 EDT 2001

Jacob wrote

>Interesting.  I'm wondering if any Victorian authors are popular any
> more.  I mean, Jane Austin (is she Victorian?  I'm afraid I lose track of
> the cut offs for these things.  I think she's regency?).  I recently read
> a summary of a biography of Robert Louis Stevenson (not really Victorian,
> he was last half of the 19th Century).

That's Victorian.

 It seems that about a billion
> biographies of this guy exist with new ones coming out periodically for no
> apparent reason.  And to be fair, he had a fascinating life full of action
> and adventure and including a sudden death at the young age of 44 at the
> height of his career.  But this modern pseudo-popularity seems to be tied
> more to his weird life than to his literature.

His later years in Hawaii are not that well known over here.

He wrote some of the more
> enduring works--things you'd recognize like "Treasure Island" and "The
> Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".  He wrote engaging,
> psychological thrillers and has, despite that, disappeared from our
> literature.  If he can fade to obscurity what chance does any lesser
> writer have?

Most of the people I know who are readers have read at least some
19th century lit off their own bats. Irrc a while ago someone asked
whether anyone had actually read Robinson Crusoe and I never got
around to saying that a crossection of my  reader friends all had. I
suspect it varies according to which country you are in. For
example RLS is probably most read still in Scotland  -- where
people are familiar with the Scots dialect -- and the same probably
goes for Geo Macdonald's kaleyard novels. I can read novels in
Scots if I'm sufficiently motivated, I have read Catriona and
Kidnapped.  Another factor in national variation in reading matter is
familiarity with the setting -- that's certainly part of the appeal of
Dickens (music centre in head provides rousing chorus of "Maybe
It's because I'm a Londoner) and the Brontes, among others.

19C novelists I read include Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Geo
Macdonald, the Brontes: people I know read George Eliot, Jane
Austen and Mrs Gaskell.

Finally has anyone else read MacDonald's Sir Gibbie? I've got an
old copy of the full text. It's a fascinating book.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones