19th-century literature & fantasy

shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 08:18:34 EDT 2001

Had a thought in the middle of the night wch was ...

Do we read 19thc lit like fantasy? I suspect that one of the attractions (for me, anyway) of literature written in other times is that it describes a society wch is effectively fantasyland to me. For instance, when Trollope describes how people act, they use the conventions of a vanished society: it is equivalent, now, to an imaginary society. I don't read much fantasy, & when I do it isn't the fantasy aspects of the books that appeals to me in itself - it's the writing & the characters. But could it be that what appeals to modern readers of 19thc lit is the same glimpse of an alternative culture that is appealing to fantasy readers? Anyone any views?

Georgia

-----

20 email addresses from 15,000 domain names - free at http://www.another.com