One more question...

Preisig, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Preisig at KLINE.com
Fri Jul 27 15:06:21 EDT 2001

Well I can't help you with general figures, but speaking for myself I have
voluntarily read at least one work by each writer listed.  And was bored to
tears in several cases :)

I don't know why anyone would actually go out and buy books by these writers
when they are available for free on Project Gutenburg.  Perhaps there are
download statistics there...

I only bought one book new, and that was a forced high school purchase.
The rest I read in libraries, out of the bookshelves of relatives, or
downloaded.

Kylie

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Proffitt [mailto:Jacob at Proffitt.com]
Sent: Saturday, 28 July 2001 2:58
To: dwj at suberic.net
Subject: RE: One more question...

To me, this is the real question.  You seem to think that there are a lot of
people asking for these books, but I don't see it.  I'd be interested in
either a) sales figures or b) polling data to see how popular these things
really are.  I think most of these works are things that people like to talk
about in knowledgeable ways even if they've only seen the movie.  It makes
them look smart to talk knowledgably about "Little Women", but I'll bet that
most people would admit that they've never actually read the book by Alcott.
How many of us depend on Disney for our knowledge of "The Jungle Book"?  I
suspect that the studies and polls haven't been done if only because anyone
interested in the poll is scared of what they'd find.

Jacob