What are you reading? (was:Re: Remake, and a plug for Issola and Sabriel)

Fri Jul 27 13:38:08 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:15:18 +1000, Gross Family wrote:

>Melissa replied:
>
>> If you generally like Mercedes Lackey, I see no reason why you should not
>> like this one.  I stopped reading her books years ago, but I gave this one
>> chance on the recommendation of a friend (who also doesn't usually like
>her
>> books).  It sounded like an interesting idea--magic based on English
>> tradition and magic based on Indian tradition, set in Victorian London.
>> Lackey does use the old idea of the four elements as a basis for magic,
>but
>> she seems to have given it some original thought.  Those were the good
>> parts.
>
>Well, I've only ever read one book by her, _Fire Rose_, which, I enjoyed
>very much. It did seem to be different from her other books. I was
>interested to read _Serpent's Shadow_ because apparently it's set in the
>same universe as _Fire Rose_. In the latter, she uses the four elements as
>you describe.
>
><rest snipped>
>
>Thanks for your feedback. I will probably still read _Serpent's Shadow_. It
>will be interesting to see if my reactions match yours.

I'd particularly like to hear if _Serpent's Shadow_ is in any way a sequel
to that one.  I don't think it is, but the way she handles the initial
exposition sounds like there's an earlier novel she's referencing (though
it's probably just exposition).

Melissa Proffitt