What are you reading? (was:Re: Remake, and a plug for Issola and Sabriel)

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 27 09:15:18 EDT 2001

> >Melissa writes:
> >
> >> I was reading _Serpent's Shadow_ until I got fed up and tossed it
across
> >the
> >> room.

I asked:

> >Oh no! Did you dislike it that much? I was looking forward to reading it.

Melissa replied:

> If you generally like Mercedes Lackey, I see no reason why you should not
> like this one.  I stopped reading her books years ago, but I gave this one
> chance on the recommendation of a friend (who also doesn't usually like
her
> books).  It sounded like an interesting idea--magic based on English
> tradition and magic based on Indian tradition, set in Victorian London.
> Lackey does use the old idea of the four elements as a basis for magic,
but
> she seems to have given it some original thought.  Those were the good
> parts.

Well, I've only ever read one book by her, _Fire Rose_, which, I enjoyed
very much. It did seem to be different from her other books. I was
interested to read _Serpent's Shadow_ because apparently it's set in the
same universe as _Fire Rose_. In the latter, she uses the four elements as
you describe.

<rest snipped>

Thanks for your feedback. I will probably still read _Serpent's Shadow_. It
will be interesting to see if my reactions match yours.

Ros