Remake

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jul 26 06:58:42 EDT 2001

>  >T
>>.

Melissa wrote (being very eloquent, as usual, compared to ME):

>Reminds me of the relationship in _Lincoln's Dreams_ too, though without the
>Heada character.  I don't like Tom much either, though, so I guess I figured
>Heada was better off without him.  :)

I think the guy in LD kinda reminds me of Heada, in the way that he
does everything for what's-her-name but she doesn't really notice
him, in the way he wants, if you know what I mean. (How many commas
can I fit into one sentance?) But I LOVED Lincoln's Dreams because it
was so character-full (you know what I mean) and real.

>I think Willis was being critical of the way the movie industry appears to
>care more and more about the bottom line--staking all their money on big
>name stars, unwilling to take risks, etc.  I don't know how true this really
>is, but it certainly appears that way from where I stand.  If producers and
>directors today would rather cast a big-name star than an unknown, it's a
>logical step to assume they'd want to keep casting that star for decades.

I know that this is where she was coming from, but it still doesn't
make me like the story. I guess it's just me with my inherent
optimism and Belief in the Fundemental Goodness of All Things.

>Besides, this is a dark future, an If This Goes On story.  It's meant to
>scare you.  And, conversely, to make you want to watch Fred Astaire movies.
>(Though I don't agree with Alis about Gene Kelly, or rather, I agree he
>makes things look hard but I still like watching him.  But I'm not a
>dancer.)
>.

I like Gene Kelly too, but Fred Astaire's my favourite. We watch
Easter Parade every Easter, and I love it. I like Judy Garland too,
even though she couldn't dance. (Apparently.)

>The first time I read it, I misunderstood the ending to mean that Alis was
>never coming back.  It was extremely depressing.  It's not like _Fire and
>Hemlock_ where I just didn't understand the ending, it was simply that I
>misread it, or something.  I never do this with other authors.  It's
>strange.  Anyway, the point of the ending as I see it is that there's hope
>not only for Alis and Tom, but for the film industry, because other
>countries are still making live-action films--so there's the possibility of
>a comeback.  The whole B plot about Tom editing out the AS's plays up this
>theme too: Hollywood is changeable and subject to fads.

I didn't misunderstand the ending that way, I just didn't like it. :)
I know it's horrible, but I thought, So what, Alis is coming back? I
didn't get that live-actions would make a comeback, but that was
probably just me. Why did you have to go get me all interested? Now
I'll have to read it again and think, and you know how I hate doing
*that*. ;)

>   Don't you think
>it's interesting that _Bellwether_ was her very next book?  I haven't
>thought about it in that way until just now, but surely there's a
>connection.  (Or it's the quantum butterfly.)

I never thought of that before. Hmmm... [Becca taps her fingertips
together like Mr Burns]. Yet another thing to think about. Oh well.
At least I'll have something  to do on the plane other than stare
mindlessly at a magazine.

Off to Edinburgh for four whole days!
Cheers,
Becca.