dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #340

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 20:53:01 EDT 2001

I wrote, in reply to Hallie (egged on by Becca) being sarky about my query on Lutherans,

> >Oh Hallie, (agrieved sigh) of course I know who Luther is, and
> >they're obviously Protestant, but of what precise kind of
> >Protestants? When founded? where to be found? Like Anglicans?
> >Baptists? Methodists?The Wee Wee Free? Big? Small? Powerful?
> >Weak?.............. Just wanted to know.
>
> Well, the agrieved sigh was worth it, as I got the laugh out of your
> reply. :)  The Wee Wee Free? In fact ???

In fact, yes, really. The Wee Frees is the nickname for the Free
Scottish Presbyterians, (said to be small, but disproportionately
powerful in W.Scotland and the Isles), strict, puritanic protestants,
and the Wee Wee Frees are a breakaway group who think the
Wee frees are not strict enough. Maybe the people who took the
fun out of fundamentalism, neither group allows singing in Church,
for example.......................... This made me laugh and laugh: the
Wee Wee Frees (or the Wee Frees, according to which article you
read) believe that last autumn's floods, the recent spate of railway
accidents and the Foot and mouth outbreak are all down to the
Queen's having an audience with the Pope. They say she needs
ritual purification. Oh dearie, dearie me.

THanks for enlightening me about Lutherans. Just a stab in the
dark but is the reason they won't merge completely with the
Anglicans is the Queen's position as head of the Church?

The Wee Wee Frees have reminded me of a joke against Puritans.

Why are they agin sex?

Comic Timing Space

Because it can lead to dancing.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones