What are you reading? (was:Re: Remake, and a plug for Issola and Sabriel)

Wed Jul 25 18:18:04 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:35:56 -0400, Preisig, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

>Replying and carefully not reading anything under the spoiler warning...
>
>You relise after all this discussion that I haven't read and have carefully
>saved I'm going to have to go and read the book???  And I have so many books
>to read at the moment!!!  I've just finished _Issola_, by Steven Brust,
>after rereading all the previous books, and it was very good!  My favourite
>since _Jhereg_.

_Issola_ was great!  Though we had a disagreement over whether the climax
was sad or perfect.  Steven Brust is magnificent!

>On my to-read pile is _Artemis Fowl_, _The Skies of Pern_ (my
>soon-to-by-ex-mother-in-law named a dragon in this one), the second
>Stephanie Plum book, _American Gods_, the Chronicles of the Kencyrath (I
>have finally got my hands on a copy of _Seeker's Mask_), and _Thief of
>Time_.

I meant to mention that Meisha Merlin finally produced _Seeker's Mask_.
Everybody go get it so we can talk about...um...how it compares to DWJ?  :)

>One of my most recent reads was _Lirael_, by Garth Nix.  I absolutely loved
>it.  It had quite a DWJish feeling about it for a reasons that I might think
>about it and go into more when I get around to rereading it.  It follows on
>from _Sabriel_, which I also really enjoyed, and it will be continued in
>_Abhorsen_, which I hope is published SOON!!  Amongst the writers who had
>nice things to say about _Sabriel_ in the blurbs in _Lirael_ was DWJ.  So
>don't just take my word for it - even DWJ says go and read these books!

Yeah, that ending though...sort of "I had to stop here because they wouldn't
let me put any more pages in this volume."  I credit this list for leading
me to Garth Nix.  _Lirael_ did have a very DWJ-ish feeling...I wonder why.
I want to say because Lirael just didn't fit with the rest of the Clayr, but
had her own destiny, and that reminds me of _Power of Three_.  But I'm
pretty sure that's not all of it.  It's not nearly as dark a book as
_Sabriel_, though it has its moments (this is not a criticism; I loved the
atmosphere and the setting of _Sabriel_ a LOT).  Good book.

I was reading _Serpent's Shadow_ until I got fed up and tossed it across the
room.  Now I'm working on _Extraordinary Popular Delusions etc._ (thanks
Elise for the long-ago recommendation!), two books by Megan Whalen Turner
called _The Thief_ and _The Queen of Attolia_ which I'm not certain I like
yet, and I just finished _The Killer's Cousin_ by Nancy Werlin.  She writes
mainstream young adult novels, but she either does really good research or
she is a science-fiction-reading, fantasy-computer-gaming, X-Files-watching
out-of-the-mainstream person like us.  :)  I especially like _Locked
Inside_.  I never thought I'd read this kind of book.

Melissa Proffitt