Satire squats, hoof in mouth, under every bush (was: Remake)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 12:49:36 EDT 2001

Sally, on satire:

> She then came up with some very perceptive comments. I've not read the book
> in question, but the points raised go a long way to explain why I dislike
> satire so much...
>
> For me, fiction holds up a window to a world where things can be set right.
> The imperfect becomes, if not perfect, at least more heroic in its failure.
> I don't care for books which take something imperfect and make it worse.
>
> DWJ ref? DWJ takes the imperfect and makes it interesting, heroic and often
> magnificent.

Can't resist a quote from Michael Flanders (on his and Donald Swann's role as
comic songwriters):

The purpose of satire, it has been said, is to strip off the veneer of cozy
half-truth....

Our job, as I see it, is to put it back again!

DWJ doesn't, of course, veneer things in cozy half truth.  She uses far more
beautiful materials - but the end result is often just as funny as Flanders and
Swann.

Philip.

prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000