alternate identity (OT: Snicket/Gaiman)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Jul 25 10:24:24 EDT 2001

At 1:05 PM +0100 7/25/01, shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk wrote:
>Nat wrote:
>
>>Current reading: Bill Bryson IN A SUNBURNED COUNTRY, Lemony Snickett
>>THE REPTILE ROOM, Jane Stevenson FOUR DECEPTIONS, Jane Hamilton
>>DISOBEDIENCE, Neil Gaiman AMERICAN GODS, Lonely Planet MADAGASCAR AND
>>THE COMOROS
>
>Is Lemony Snickett worth reading? I've seen a couple of interviews
>with him recently, but I'm not sure his books are out yet. And how
>about the Neil Gaiman? I've liked his past books, but the summary of
>this one made it sound a bit too thrilleresque for me.
>
>Georgia

Lemony Snickett is all of apiece: I read him for style, which is
wonderfully arch, but I would try one at a time. A bit like Arthur
Ransome in that regard: I love him, but for style and ambience more
than anything, and I can't read too much of him at once.

The Gaiman I thought was wonderful... a bit gothic in places. But I
really like his sensibility, and would happily read his
interpretation of the phone directory, for kind of the same reasons I
read Jones: I like the way his mind works, and I find his characters
very appealing as people (or...whatever).

SPOILER FOR Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The premise is that various gods and demigods have moved to America
and became lost and poor shadows of themselves once they are here. I
thought it interesting that monotheism, especially Mormonism, simply
does not appear as a factor. A couple mentions of Christianity, but
it has no real effect on the plot.

Nevertheless, a very interesting book.

Nat