Religion and fantasy

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 25 07:44:52 EDT 2001

Fiona wrote:

> I have to say that I still find it extraordinary that the Narnia books are
> described as preachy when, to me, they are simply of their time: written
by
> a Christian writer about children from a country dominated by the
Christian
> faith and aimed an  audience largely made up of the same. I honestly
cannot
> see that a book is preachy when it simply reflects the current theological
> majority of its country of origin and target audience, for which it's
> Christian slant would have huge resonance. Naturally if the Narnia books
> were written today it would be different as the UK (for whom the book was
> originally published) is no longer dominated to the same degree by
> Christianity (nor any religion for that matter) and it's no longer
> considered PC to over emphasise one religion over any other . Also I think
> it is wrong to impose modern ideals on books published in the past - you
> might as well condemn the old Empire Atlases, with their huge bias towards
> the British Empire, or discount Dickens and Austen for their male bias and
> lack of ethnic characters, rather than accepting them for the historical
> relic that they are and enjoying the story

Even in Lewis's time, not all British people were even nominally Christian,
let alone believing Christians. When you're not Christian, books that assume
that Christianity is the most "real" religion feel preachy. As a Jew (albeit
not wholly practising), I find the Christian belief that Lewis would have
shared (though I am aware not all Christians feel this way), that
Christianity is the most "true" religion, patronising. I have to say that I
feel that the Narnian stories *are* "preachy", even though I love them.

Ros