Religion and fantasy

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 24 18:17:21 EDT 2001

>Here's an apposite quote from Connie Willis (what exactly is a
>Lutheran btw):

Serious question?  Luther, the Reformation, (Becca's quoting from the
floor (that's the living-room floor, btw :) not speaker's podium type
floor) : John Tetzel selling indulgances in Wittenburg to rebuild St.
Peter's Basilica in Rome, nepotism, absenteeism, pluralism, and
simony...)  Sorry.

>She was asked whether her religious affiliation afected her writing:
>
>"I think writers have to tell the truth as they know it. On the other
>hand I think every truly religious person is a heretic at heart
>because you can't be true to an established agenda. You have to
>be true to what you think L'Engle and Lewis are sometimes
>apologists for religion rather than writers. i want always to be a
>writer and if religion is what has to go so be it. The story is
>everything."

I read this as well, a while ago, and I have to say I wasn't much
taken with it.  Guess I'm heading for a minority opinion here again,
but I don't see Lewis or L'Engle as preaching, exactly, but rather as
exploring their own beliefs.  (Mind you, I haven't read the last
couple of Narnia books or some of the L'Engles for years.)  And I'm
perfectly happy to read all kinds of different beliefs.  But I've a
bit more hesitation about trusting someone who'd say if religion [or
whatever belief] has to go so be it.  There's a place somewhere
between writing as a religious (or whatever) apologist and tossing
your own beliefs for the story.

IMHO.

(I liked what Nat said about writing without fear, btw.)

Hallie.