Religion and fantasy

Rebecca Ganetzky jlynn_cmc_edu at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:28:02 EDT 2001

Ros:
>Yes, I usually react the same way. I adore the Narnian books and Zenna
>Henderson's "People" books, but am still uneasy with the preaching inherent
>in them. I think these work because the story and the characters are
>strong,
>and because the religious elements have such a strong archetypal power, but
>I still don't like the fact that I am being preached at (please note that I
>absolutely *love* these books).
It depends on the book.  I'm quite fond of some preachy books, (although
specifics escape me at the moment, but I'm quite sure it's true.)  But
others (particularly if the book was mediocre to begin with) are too much,
and I would rather discard the book.  As I said before, it's farily subtle,
books that are blantantly preachy (Narnia) are sometimes less upsetting then
books where the whole undercurrent of the books is trying to convert
readers, without any overt religion...of which I cannot think of an example.
Rebecca