Religion and fantasy

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 04:26:27 EDT 2001

Interesting question...

I think I agree with what Nat said. The way I feel about it, it has to do with something Melissa wrote some time ago (with respect to HP books). As I don't think I can put it down better, I'll quote:

 >Any fiction is about a world that isn't the same as the one I live in.  Even if it's not
>speculative fiction.  This is just the way I perceive it--however deeply
>immersed I am in a book, it's still some other world.  In fact, I think of
>"getting into" a book as though I'm stepping through a door to another
>world.

I think this is the reason why this issue doesn't bother me.
And that might be the reason why I also feel a bit like Rebecca: I don't like it if books are overly "christian", because (if the writer is preaching) he/she implies the book *is* about our world (at least in the religious aspect). And then I'll probably find myself disagreeing - the Connie Willis quote is very intersting, Ven! - and be distracted and irritated.
Of course a good book should say something about our world, too, something we can relate to.  So there are more layers to a good book.  If the "religious" message also runs in the deeper levels, then I start to think about it and then I might find myself disagreeing. But the book can still be interesting and well written. I think one shouldn't be afraid to listen to people who have a different opinion...

Bettina

Bettina