Religion and fantasy

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 22:41:25 EDT 2001

Nat wrote
>  Orson Scott
> Card and Diane Duane, are, respectively, devoutly Mormon and Catholic.
> Those are two I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there
> are many many others.

Here's a few more:

Catholic: Tim Powers, Gene Wolfe, Patricia Wrede and Tolkien
              Anne MacCaffrey, lapsed.

Jewish: David Brin, Jack and Joe Haldeman, Sherri Tepper, Joan
            Vinge, Jane Yolen, Lisa Goldstein (have we ever discussed
            her books?) and Robert Silverberg

Anglican: (is Episcopalian the same thing?) Marianne Zimmer
                Bradley, Madelaine L'Engle, C.S. Lewis, Cordwainer
                Smith, George MacDonald

Baptist: Stephen Lawhead and R.Don Hughes. Octavia Butler was
           raised Baptist, I believe that is true of Samuel R Delany
           also (his grandfather was a Baptist minister).

LDS (Mormon): Zenna Henderson, Orson Scott Card, Elizabeth
                 Boyer

Unitarian: Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury (a former baptist) and
               Frederick Pohl

Yes, I did a web search, any mistakes aren't mine <g>. Anyone
got a list of Atheists/ agnostics?

Here's an apposite quote from Connie Willis (what exactly is a
Lutheran btw):

She was asked whether her religious affiliation afected her writing:

"I think writers have to tell the truth as they know it. On the other
hand I think every truly religious person is a heretic at heart
because you can't be true to an established agenda. You have to
be true to what you think L'Engle and Lewis are sometimes
apologists for religion rather than writers. i want always to be a
writer and if religion is what has to go so be it. The story is
everything."

My head's a shed tonight, so I can't think for myself (or if I can I
can't arrange it in sentences, let alone paragraphs). Thanks for the
topic Georgia, I hope to be with it soon.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones